Tuesday 24 October 2017

Outsider Art 'Alternative Visions' Touring Exhibition of Excellence : Kuriology

Outsider Art 'Alternative Visions' 
Touring Exhibition of Excellence


Finally made it to the 'Alternative Visions' exhibition of Outsider Artists.  This touring exhibition throughout 2017/18. The 1st Art Exhibition to which The Kuriologist has submitted work.  Although not one of the final artworks selection, a Kuriology sculpture is still featured in the exhibition. Yay! (*Does happy dance)

The quality of work of the exhibits was to my mind excellent, refreshing & art to which mostly I could actually relate too.  This was not high brow, arty-farty, bourgeoisie conceptual art bullsh*t, which I have unfortunately come to expect from so many art? exhibitions.  So many galleries I have seen conceptual work? which actually excludes me far more than it draws me in to engage with it.

This for me was an exhibition of real art, by real people, untrained, raw, & outside of the academia of a generally pretentious & excluding art world, which I personally believe ostracizes more people from art & its ultimate enjoyment. 

I was delighted to find this video on youtube of some of the exhibiting artists & their work







Now I did have to look really hard to find the tiny screen which was displaying some of the x300+ other artworks submitted to the 'Alternative Vision' exhibition.  I dutifully stood & watched as equally good work to that which made the final cut slid past my eyes a few seconds at a time.

  • *It is always a joy to be able to instantaneously recognize a piece of work by an artist when one is not expecting to see it.  I recognized a stylized painting of two birds in flight by Peter from Redwing gallery in Penzance, in Cornwall  



Kuriologist submitted sculpture to 'Alternative Vision'
The above image is the sculpture I submitted to the exhibition. One of many pseudo anatomical species museum exhibits I have created.  Ironically many have now actually been museum exhibited at Helston Museum in June of this year (2017).

Museum Exhibited Kuriology Insects

Why was The Kuriologist one of the submitted artists to 'Alternative Visions'?  

I have a full clinical & forensic diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder, suffering from catastrophic trauma, severe anxiety, panic attacks & a form of people related agoraphobia. It left me housebound for ten years & my art creations, self taught, kept me engaged with life.

The 'Alternative Visions' exhibition organised by Outsidein.  

Thank you Outsidein.

Venues and dates for 'Alternative Visions' Exhibition:

Bristol Museum & Art Gallery: 3 June - 10 September 2017
Falmouth Art Gallery: 25 September - 10 December 2017
The Wilson, Cheltenham: 6 January - 11 March 2018
Poole Museum: 21 March - 6 May 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest.

You can find Kuriology Art for sale on :-https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/KuriousThings